- Ph.D. in Materials Science and Engineering (1989) State University of New York at Stony Brook.
Dissertation: 'Rapid solidification during plasma spraying'
- B.S. in Metallurgical Engineering (1985) Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, India.
Senior Project: 'DSC studies on crystallization kinetics of metallic glasses'
- Director, Center for Thermal Spray Research NSF Materials Research Science and Engineering Center (2002-Present)
- Professor, Materials Science Department, Stony Brook University (2001-Present)
- Graduate Program Director, Materials Science Department, SUNY SB. (November 2000 - August 2002)
- Associate Professor (1997-2001)
- Research Assistant Professor (1994 - 1997)
- Advanced Research Engineer (Materials Development),OSRAM SYLVANIA INC. (Formerly GTE Products Corporation) Chemical and Metallurgical Division, Towanda, PA. (1989 - 1993)
- ESM 335: Mechanical Properties
- ESM 334: Materials engineering
- ESM 450: Phase and Mechanical Properties Laboratory (changed to Engineering Systems Laboratory)
- ESM 532: Materials Processing
- ESM 696: Surface Engineering
- Ebner Industrie-Ofenbau, Linz (Austria) (1982)
- Kamani Metals and Alloys Ltd. (India) (1983)
- Visveswaraya Iron and Steel Ltd. (India) (1984)
- R&D 100 Award, R&D Magazine for 100 most innovative technologies in 2007 (2007)
- Distinguished Visiting Fellow, University of Auckland, New Zealand (2006)
- Innovation, Creation and Discovery Award, Research Foundation of SUNY (2005)
- Elected Fellow, ASM International (2005)
- SUNY Chancellor’s award for Excellence in Scholarship and Creative Activities (2002)
- Certificate of Merit, ASM Thermal Spray Conference (2006)
- Winner Best Paper Award ASM Thermal Spray Conference (1988)
- Winner Best Paper Award ASM Thermal Spray Conference (1990)
- Winner Best Paper Award Journal of Thermal Spray Technology (1992)
- 2nd prize in Metallography (Electron microscopy) ASM Thermal Spray Conf. (1988)
- 1st prize in Metallography (Optical microscopy) ASM Thermal Spray Conf. (1990)
- 1st prize in Metallography (Electron microscopy) ASM Thermal Spray Conf. (1990)
- 1st prize in Metallography (Electron microscopy) ASM Thermal Spray Conf. (1991)
- Co-Chair: Int. Symposium on Thermal Spray, Xian China May 2007.
- Co-organizer: Bridging Dimensions of Direct Write Technologies, Seward, AK, 2004
- Member: Int. Advisory Committee on Functionally Graded Materials
- Review Panelist: Various NSF and DoE programs including Centers
- Associate Editor: Materials Science and Engineering (A)
- Guest Editor: Materials Research Society Bulletin, July 2000.
- Proceedings Co-Editor: National Thermal Spray Conference (1994).
- Proceedings Co-Editor: National Thermal Spray Conference (1995).
- Proceedings Co-Editor: Ceramic Transactions, Vol.114, FGM 2000 Conference
- Symposium Co-Editor Materials Research Society Symposia, Vol. 645E, (2000).
- Reviewer: J.Am.Cer.Soc., J.Mat.Res., J.Mat.Sci., Acta Materiala, Thin Solid Films
- Co-organizer: Spray Forming –ASM Conf., Anaheim (1993).
- Co-organizer: Functionally Graded Materials, MRS Fall Meeting 1997.
- Co-organizer: Emerging Opportunities in Thermal Spray Workshop, 1998.
- Co-organizer: Functionally Graded Materials ’2000, Am.Cer.Society Colorado USA.
- Co-organizer: Thermal Barrier Coatings, MRS Fall Meeting 2000
- Co-organizer: Ceramic Coatings Symposium, Am. Ceramic Society 2002.
- Chairman: Spray Forming Committee, ASM Thermal Spray Society.
- Member: Materials Science Committee, ASM-Thermal Spray Society.
- Member: ASM International, TMS, MRS, American Ceramic Society
- Chair Industrial Outreach Committee, Center for Thermal Spray Research